My passions are liberal politics and good food. I care about my fellow human beings and my community. As much as possible, I buy local and organic, supporting small farmers and real food. I have found that even a small food budget can be powerful if you focus on quality. Cooking Liberally is about being frugal and generous, nourishing ourselves and our neighbors.
By sowing frugality we reap liberty, a golden harvest. ~Agesilaus

Saturday, February 12, 2011

What happens in Book Club...



Our author’s family faced tough times by putting up soup. Me, I fix pasta. Her mother and grandmother share expensive cherries in winter: “the snap of the skin, the tart juice tasting of summers past and the summer to come.” For my part, it’s capers and good olive oil.

In keeping with the theme of the book, we brought “comfort food” to our gathering: something that got us through hard times or was a family favorite. My offering hearkened back not to the Depression or to a deprived childhood (mine wasn’t) but to my days as a college student.

I ate a lot of pasta. (For you young people, pasta was my generation’s Ramen.) But since I have an Italian mother, you know I wouldn’t settle for spaghetti and Ragú. It didn’t cost any more to buy capellini or mostaccioli or my favorite, farfalle. I could toss it with some tuna, sprinkle a little cheese, or add some of those cheap onions. I would indulge in a little jar of capers, because they added a lot of flavor and always seemed so elegant.
 
Book Club Pasta
1 box Farfalle (Bow Tie Pasta)
2 cans diced tomatoes
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Italian Herbs
Capers
Cook the pasta, drain. Pour in the tomatoes including liquid. Add olive oil, salt and herbs to taste. Add capers, heat until warmed through.

Cover with foil, put in a box or bag and head to Book Club. Eat leftovers for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading Cooking Liberally. Comments are moderated, and reviewed quickly.